Supported by the Périer-D’Ieteren Foundation, the restoration of the panels bearing the coats of arms of Philip the Fair and Philip of Burgundy has just been completed. The two heraldic paintings will be shown at the Museum Hof van Busleyden in Mechelen as part of the Renaissance Children exhibition, which will open on 26 March (link).
On 22 May 1491, Philip the Fair (1478-1506), then 12 years old, convened the knights of the Golden Fleece in Mechelen. At this 15th chapter of the Order, thirty paintings representing the knights’ coats of arms and names were produced. These artworks have been attributed to court artists, such as Pierre Coustain and Jacob van Laethem. As usual, these panels were hung in the choir of the Saint Rumbold cathedral, where they can still be seen today.